Exciton’s patented exSALT® coating technology uses electroless deposition techniques to deposit a unique class of silver compounds – silver oxysalts containing silver in the valance states of +1, +2 and +3 – onto a variety of materials and substrates. This advanced silver coating provides high antimicrobial activity without compromising the natural properties of the material on which it is applied.
exSALT® coated substrates release silver gradually. This sustained release of active silver not only maintains the efficacy of the product as a bactericide, but also improves its compatibility with surrounding cells and tissue.
The Exciton exSALT® coating technology differs from its competitors in crucial ways:
- Optimal silver delivery. The Exciton exSALT® coating technology delivers highly active silver oxysalts that provide effective antimicrobial action with considerably less silver than other silver based technologies.
- Lower manufacturing costs. Laboratory-scale production tests on a wide range of materials have shown that exSALT® coatings can be deposited at a significantly lower cost than coatings made with competing technologies.
- Adaptable technology. exSALT® processes can be modified to coat almost any surface and provide high levels of antimicrobial activity. Our process actually bonds silver to the substrate at the molecular level, creating a physically tight bond.
Exciton has established intellectual property rights relating to the incorporation and use of our antimicrobial silver compounds with medical devices ranging from wound dressings to implantable materials: On November 27, 2007 the United States Patent Office issued Exciton a patent for coating materials using exSALT® silver coating technology.
Advantages of exSALT® Technology
- Effective performance using less silver
- Better compatibility with surrounding cells and tissue
- Excellent versatility: adaptable to numerous medical devices
- Better adhesion than leading competitor coatings
- Long-lasting activity
- Low manufacturing costs
Coating of HDPE with Silver Compounds - ECS (PDF)
Deposition of Silver Oxysalts and Their Antimicrobial Properties - Journal Article (PDF)